The Digital Wisdom cartographic symbol library provide graphic artists and mapmakers with a complete, well-designed contemporary set of map symbols packaged into an Illustrator vector library covering most of the features that need symbolizing on a map. Each library contains point, line and area symbols (including colors and patterns) which are fully editable and scalable. View detailed description of the symbols here.
The design of each and every symbol has been very carefully thought through to allow intuitive recognition of the main features of a map and use a minimal footprint to cut down on map clutter. These beautifully designed point, line and area symbols and color sets for both llustrator and Vector / EPS aplications, are compatible with their earlier versions wherever possible, but also recognizing that a higher level of cartographic presentation, quality and efficiency possible with Illustrator 10 should be a key feature. This allows the definition of points and symbols to a higher level, depicting the purpose and function of a wide range of activities, specifically geared towards tourism, travel, orientation, navigation and entertainment. Check here to view a detailed description of all the symbols in the collection.
In the Illustrator series, there is a real difference between versions 5-8 and 9. Also, there is a smaller (but significant) divide between 9 and 10 (the latter introduces the "Symbols palette" which is a natural format for a library of cartographic symbols).
Here are some compatibility conditions for using the Symbol Library in other programs:
- Illustrator CS3: all features available - artwork, Symbols (point symbols), Styles (lines, areas)
- Illustrator CS2: all features available - artwork, Symbols (point symbols), Styles (lines, areas)
- Illustrator CS: all features available - artwork, Symbols (point symbols), Styles (lines, areas)
- Illustrator 10: all features available - artwork, Symbols (point symbols), Styles (lines, areas)
- Illustrator 9: artwork, Styles palette is fine, but there is no Symbols palette
- Illustrator 8: artwork, there is no Symbols palette or Styles palette
For more information about editing the symbols, and printing tips, check the FAQ and tips support page.